The Bennington Flag is a version of the American flag associated with the American Revolutionary War in Bennington and takes its name from it.
Its distinguishing feature is the insertion of a large “76” in the canton, referring to 1776.
One legend claims that the original Bennington flag pulled from the ground by Nathaniel Fillmore and passed from the Fillmore family, and at one time belonged to President Millard Fillmore, Nathaniel’s grandson. Philus P. Fillmore flew the Bennington Flag in 1877 to commemorate the Battle of Bennington. Mrs. Maude Fillmore Wilson donated the family flag to the Bennington Museum. Due to the family association, this flag also referred to as the “Fillmore Flag”.
Many doubt the actual use of the Fillmore flag at the Battle of Bennington. It generally accepted that a Green Mountain Boys flag belonging to John Stark is there, but the Bennington flag strongly associated with the event.
The Stark and Fillmore flags are housed in a collection at the Bennington Museum, but the Stark flag accepted as an 18th-century regiment flag, while the museum traces the history of the 19th-century Bennington flag to the nature of the machine.
Also, the flag may raise to evoke revolutionary sentiment during the War of 1812 or the 50th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence in 1826. The curator of the Smithsonian Institution’s National Museum of History and Technology speculates that the flag may even be a hundred-year-old flag. 1876.
Meaning and colors
Like many Revolutionary flags, Bennington has 13 stars and 13 ribbons, symbolizing the 13 American colonies that fought against the British. Recalling 1776, when the Declaration of Independence signed, the Bennington version easily identified by a large “76” in Canton.
Another distinctive feature of the Bennington flag is the 13-stripe layout, with white being the outermost color (instead of red on most American flags).
Also, its stars each have seven dots (instead of the standard five dots now), and the blue canton is taller than the other flags, covering nine numbers instead of seven out of thirteen.
The Bennington Flag is a popular version of the American flag, and many vendors carry the historic flag. The great ’76 makes it easily recognizable as the flag of the American Revolution, evoking the spirit of nostalgia 76.
Pictures of Bennington flag
Copy and paste this emoji:
Download images of Bennington flag
Download free images of Bennington flag in four formats (PNG, JPG, Icon, and SVG)
About Bennington town
Bennington is a city in Bennington, Vermont, United States. This is one of the two Shire cities (city seats) city and the other city is Manchester.
The population is 15,764 at the 2010 United States Census. Bennington is the most populous city in southern Vermont, the third-largest city in Vermont (after Essex and Colchester), and the sixth-largest municipality in the state, including Burlington, Rutland, and South Burlington.
It is home to the Bennington Battle Memorial, the tallest man-made structure in Vermont. The city has a long history of construction, mainly in the field of wood processing. The city is also known nationally for its pottery, iron, and textiles.
First, of New Hampshire aid, Bennington was appointed and named in his honor on January 3, 1749, by Colonial Governor Benning Wentworth.
It granted to William Williams and 61 others, mostly from Portsmouth, New Hampshire, making it the oldest licensed city outside of present-day Vermont, although Bertelboro established as a castle.
The city was first settled in 1761 by four families from Hardwick and two families from Amherst, Massachusetts.
They were led by Capt. Samuel Robinson, who camped in the River Valley on his return from the French-Indian War.
Before the arrival of the colonialists, this land belonged to the western aquifer of the Wabanaki Confederation.
They were Nedakina Indigenous people – also known as Vermont, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, and Quebec.
Today there are three historic districts in the city: Old Bennington, Downtown Bennington and North Bennington.
Among these, Old Bennington is the main settlement and dates back to 1761.
In the early 1800s, Bennington city center began to expand. And by 1854 the population of the city had grown to 18589.
Battle of Bennington
The city is especially famous for the Battle of Bennington, which took place during the Revolutionary War. However, the battle took place approximately 12 miles west of present-day New York State. And the ammunition depot building in Bennington was a strategic target.
On August 16, 1777, General John Stark, with 1,500 New Hampshire troops, defeated 800 German (Hessian) mercenaries, local loyalists, Canadians, and Indians under the command of Lt. Col. Friedrich Baum.
German auxiliary forces under Lieutenant Colonel Heinrich von Biermann seemed to reverse the result but prevented from doing so by the arrival of the sons of the Green Mountain Green Set Warner, a Vermont militia founded by Ethan Allen.
In 1891, the Bennington Battle Memorial inaugurated. The monument is a 306-foot (93-meter) stone obelisk, the tallest man-made structure in Vermont. This is a popular tourist attraction.
Industries related to agriculture, forestry, fisheries, trade and retail, tourism, aviation, health care and government-related occupations are contributing to the formation and vital role of the Bennington economy.
Bennington County has, since 2013, 15,194 non-farm employees who have lived or worked in the county since 2013.
Vermont Southwest Medical Center, with a workforce of approximately 1,300, is the city’s largest employer. NSK Steering Systems America, Inc. With a workforce of 864 people as of March 2013.
Bennington leaders have formed Bennington Economic Development Partners to facilitate and accelerate economic growth. Work on a newly created strategic economic development plan that provides benefits to companies based in the region.
Foreign trade area, EB5, low-interest loans, ready to build sites, research and development, retail, and technology are some of the benefits of new and existing industries.
The Bennington Bureau of Economic and Social Development, Better Bennington, the Bennington District Chamber of Commerce, the Bennington County Regional Commission, and the County Bennington Industrial Company are just some of the partners coordinating the strategic planning efforts.
Bennington’s “big box” development is further limited to the Northside Drive and Kocher Drive corridors in the northern part of the city.
Bennington is home to the Chamber Music Conference and the Oriental Composers Association, a summer institute for amateur musicians.
The conference held on the campus of Bennington College University. And has been located in Bennington for almost all of its seasons since its founding in 1946.
The conference also includes a chamber music festival each summer, hosted by faculty at the Greenwall Auditorium on the campus of Bennington College.
Six concerts between mid-July and mid-August. Bennington is also home to the Oldcastle Theater, a small professional theater.
Bennington College, has been the main venue of the Sage City Symphony since its founding in 1973.
The symphony performs a challenging program from the traditional repertoire as well as ordering new work each year.
Bennington is located southwest of Bennington County at 42 ° 53′28 ″ N 73 ° 12′29 ″ West.
West New York, Punal, Vermont to the south, Shaftesbury, Vermont to the north, and Woodford, Vermont to the east.
Located in the southernmost part of Vermont. It is geographically closer to the capitals of Albania, Hartford, and Concord than the state capital of Montpellier.
According to the US Census Bureau, the city covers an area of 42.5 square miles.
The Bennington discharged by the Walomask River. Its tributaries and flows into the Hossik River and then the Hudson River.
The city is located along the western edge of the Green Mountains, including Mount Tass, which occupies the northeastern edge of the city. (The 2,857-foot (871-meter) peak is slightly above the town line in Woodford.)
In the southwestern part of Mount Anthony, 2,350 feet (720 meters) is part of the Taconic area.